Free download Database Systems A Practical Approach to Design, Implementation and Management Fourth Edition in PDF written by Thomas Connolly, Carolyn Begg and published by Addison Wesley (Pearson).
According to the Authors, ” The history of database research over the past 30 years is one of exceptional productivity that has led to the database system becoming arguably the most important development in the ﬁeld of software engineering. The database is now the underlying framework of the information system, and has fundamentally changed the way many organizations operate. In particular, the developments in this technology over the last few years have produced systems that are more powerful and more intuitive to use. This has resulted in database systems becoming increasingly available to a wider variety of users. Unfortunately, the apparent simplicity of these systems has led to users creating databases and applications without the necessary knowledge to produce an effective and efﬁcient system. And so the ‘software crisis’ or, as it is sometimes referred to, the ‘software depression’ continues.
The original stimulus for this book came from the authors’ work in industry, providing consultancy on database design for new software systems or, as often as not, resolving inadequacies with existing systems. Added to this, the authors’ move to academia brought similar problems from different users – students. The objectives of this book, therefore, are to provide a textbook that introduces the theory behind databases as clearly as possible and, in particular, to provide a methodology for database design that can be used by both technical and non-technical readers.
The major changes in the fourth edition are as follows.
- Extended treatment of normalization (original chapter has been divided into two).
- Streamlined methodology for database design using UML notation for ER diagrams.
- New section on use of other parts of UML within analysis and design, covering use cases, sequence, collaboration, state chart, and activity diagrams.
- New section on enumeration of execution strategies within query optimization for both centralized and distributed DBMSs.
- Coverage of OMG speciﬁcations including the Common Warehouse Metamodel (CWM) and the Model Driven Architecture (MDA).
- Extended treatment of XML, SOAP, WSDL, UDDI, XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 (including the revised Data Model and Formal Semantics), SQL:2003 SQL/XML standard, storage of XML in relational databases, and native XML databases.
- Extended treatment of OLAP and data mining including the functionality of SQL:2003 and the CRISP-DM model.
- Coverage updated to Oracle9i (overview of Oracle10g) and Microsoft Ofﬁce Access 2003.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Database
- Database Environment
- The Relational Model
- Relational Algebra and Relational Calculus
- SQL: Data Manipulation
- SQL: Data Definition
- Query by Example
- Commercial RDBMSs: Office Access and Oracle
- Database Planning, Design and Administration
- Fact Finding Techniques
- Entity-Relationship Modeling
- Enhanced Entity-Relationship Modeling
- Advanced Normalization
- Methodology – Conceptual Database Design
- Methodology – Logical Database Design for the Relational Model
- Methodology – Physical Database Design for Relational Databases
- Methodology – Monitoring and Tuning the Operational Systems
- Transaction Management
- Query Processing
- Distributed DBMSs – Concept and Design
- Distributed DBMSs – Advanced Concepts
- Replication and Mobile Databases
- Introduction to Object DBMSs
- Object Oriented DBMSs – Standard and Systems
- Object Relational DBMSs
- Web Technology and DBMSs
- Semi-structured Data and XML
- Data Warehousing Concepts
- Data Warehousing Design
- Data Mining
Free download Database Systems A Practical Approach to Design, Implementation and Management Fourth Edition in PDF written by Thomas Connolly and Carolyn Begg from following download links.
File Size: 51 MB Pages: 1425 Please Read Disclaimer
Don’t forget to drop a comment below after downloading this book.
Note: If download links are not working, kindly drop a comment below, so we’ll update the download link for you
Also Available: Fundamentals of Database Systems Sixth Edition in PDF